Sunday, September 12, 2010

Five Hebrew Love Songs - Pronunciation (in IPA)

So, here is a definitive IPA transcription of Whitacre's Five Hebrew Love Songs.  It just so happens that I studied Hebrew for two years so I went looking for the texts written out in their original language and took the pronunciation from there!  (I kept the hyphens between syllables to help you copy this into your music but the accented and non-accented syllables have been addressed through vowel modification.)

I'll have an IPA hand-out for you at rehearsal to augment the work we did at camp.  Between what you already know and the key you'll get, you should be good to go!


FIVE HEBREW LOVE SONGS – IPA


I.               Temuná
[tə-mu-nɑ be-li-bi xɑ-ɾu-tɑ
no de-dɛt bein oɾ u-vein o-fɛl
min dmʌ ma shə-kʌ-zo ɛt gu-fɛx kɑx o-tɑ
u-sɑ-ɾɛx ɑl pʌ-nɑi-.ix kɑx no-fɛl]

II.             Kalá  kallá
[kʌ-lɑ kʌ-lɑ ku-lɑ ʃɛ-li,
u-vɛ-kɑ-lut tə-ʃɑk hi .li]

III.           Lárov
[lʌ-ɾov ʌ-mɑɾ gɑg lə-ʃə-mɑi-.im
xʌ-mɛɜ-xɑk ʃɛ-bei-nei-nu hu .ad̪
ɑx lif-nei zmɑn ʌ-lu lə-xɑn ʃnʌ-.im
u-vɛi-nɛi-nu niʃ-ɑɾ sɛn-ti-me-tɛɾ ɛ-xɑ]

IV.           Éyze shéleg!
[‘eizɛ ʃe’lɛg kmo ,xʌlɔ’mot k,tʌ’nim nɔ’flim mɛ,hɑʃə’mɑ.ɪm]

V.             Rakút
[tʌm]
[hu hʌ-jɑ mʌ-le ɾʌ-kut
hi hai-tɑ kʌ-ʃɑ
vɛ-xol kɑ-mʌ ʃɛ-ni-stɑ lə-hi-ʃʌ-ɛɜ kɑx
pʌ-ʃut u-vli si-bɑ to-vɑ
lʌ-kɑx o-tɑ el tox ʌt-smo vɛ-hɛ-ni-ɑx
bʌ-mʌ-kom hʌ-xi ɾɑx]

No comments:

Post a Comment