Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Movement Notes!

Hi Ladies!

I have been taking lots of notes during our recent runs, and since we didn't have time to go over any movement notes on Sunday, I thought I would give you some of my notes from both the runs of Part 1&2 and 3&4. These are just to help clarify a few things and solidify movement as you are memorizing and practicing over the next week and a half!

I know we have been feeling the pressure to get all this music memorized, but with the memorization also comes expression. Practicing this at home while you learn your music will only make it all the more natural when we are running pieces in rehearsal. In particular, I noticed that Making Waves, Sea Wash, Morning Tide, To Be Sung on Water, and Raising the Wind needed to be pushed to the next level. Some notes to help you:
  • Making Waves: the feeling of soaring over the earth, the sun warm on your back, calm, peaceful, pure joy
  • Sea Wash: exhausted, in pain, in a new and unfamiliar territory, uncertain and in fear
  • Morning Tide: curiosity, excitement, welcoming to a new friend
  • To Be Sung on Water: tenderness and sadness at the love you feel
  • Raising the Wind: conjuring a storm to try and keep Joshua on the island, so there is a feeling of casting a spell, a little bit of evil. Check the Facebook group for the Philomela video to help with some inspiration here (only less vampire please!)
I know that committing to the pieces emotionally can be challenging. But I hope these little notes will help and as we move forward it will only become easier!

A few other more general notes that you can work on or make note of at home:
  • Transition between Siren Songs and Making Waves - altos need to lead down the stairs
  • Nocturne - make certain of where you are in the clump, and when you move backward; by the end of the piece the group should be very far back, right up against the bottom of the stairs
  • Woods - review when you step forward on the first page so that we all move in unison
  • Pakkanen - group of dancers on the first page (S1, MS1, MS2) you're doing great but remember - LIGHT on your feet! :)
Also, please remember to memorize the group texts: Sea Bred, Mermaid, Lost Autumn, To Heal My Heart

Thank you all so much for your hard work on this show. It is going to be AMAZING!!!!! Happy Easter and I'll see you soon!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment